Thursday, March 21, 2013

So...what do you eat?


The first question I get when I tell someone I'm vegan is, "So what do you eat?"  It's usually followed by, "Where do you get your protein? What about calcium?"  but more on that later.  Switching to vegan was tricky at first, it was a whole new world with foods that I had never heard of before.  At first it's easy to concentrate on what you can't eat:  beef, chicken, pork, eggs, milk, cheese, ice cream (the hardest one!) and yogurt.  But after awhile you start to learn that you aren't just dropping these foods, you are switching them for other foods that you start to enjoy.  One thing that's way too easy to do is to become a "junk food vegan".  Oreos are vegan, along with potato chips and a lot of other snack foods out there that also contain msg, food dyes, and harmful additives.  I guess the proper explanation could be, "I eat a vegan plant-based diet which consists of whole foods and natural ingredients".  But try to fit that on a name tag :)

Here is a short list of foods that I eat on a regular basis.  

oatmeal (not instant)          
whole-grain cereals       
whole wheat bread   
natural peanut butter
jelly/jam with real sugar
soy milk
tofu
brown basmati rice
peppers/onions/garlic
broccoli/carrots/cauliflower
green leaf lettuce
tomatoes
seitan (made from vital wheat gluten)
veggie burritos/enchiladas/tacos
homemade refried beans
whole wheat spaghetti
black bean soup
pinto/kidney/black/garbanzo beans
homemade pizza with tomatoes and onions
homemade vegan muffins
all kinds of fruit

The items above are what we usually have for meals.  It seems that when cooking vegan, there is a list of things that you need to start out with, especially spices. But most recipes use these same ingredients so you don't have to spend a ton of money at the store.  I do love trying new recipes though and I hope to do that more often.  

One of the hardest things is making sure that I am preparing foods without msg (and its alternative names), high fructose corn syrup, food dyes, and the long list of other harmful additives that are in processed foods.  It means I have to make more things, like taco seasoning, enchilada sauce, pizza crust, spaghetti sauce, refried beans, etc.  It was hard at first but once I found good recipes that I liked, it got a lot easier.  It's also less expensive.  

I hope to post some good recipes soon!


And as a side note, my kids do
 not eat vegan all of the time.  They still have cheese and yogurt, but soy milk instead of cow's milk.  We are working on it slowly.  One thing they do love is tofu!


3 comments:

  1. Can I request a refried beans recipe post? Natalie loves them, I buy Amy's organic but I am sure it would be a lot cheaper to make them myself. And what are some of the most commonly used other names for msg?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love your taco seasoning recipe...I tried one and it really wasn't good at all. I so appreciate reading this list of foods you eat. It really clears up for me how very possible it is to eat vegan...I know I'm one of those people that have asked a million times, "So what do you eat?"
    It reminds me a lot of special education in my life...I have to take a stance of educating people about special needs, not getting frustrated when they just don't understand or make assumptions. Same thing with homeschooling!
    Thanks for educating me:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog, Julie! I've been trying to adjust how we eat, but often feel overwhelmed with the massive amount of conflicting information out there on the Web. One of the things I'm interested in getting better at, is adding more raw vegetables to what we eat. Thanks for the recipes!

    ReplyDelete